Andrea Booher, film producer and photojournalist has worked as a documentarian for twenty-six years. Based in Colorado, her assignments have taken her to East Africa, Latin America, Micronesia, India, Antarctica, Australia, Myanmar, Somalia, Mexico and Haiti.
In the last two decades she has photo-documented every major disaster in the United States, Trust Territories and Sovereign Nations for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Her documentary work resides in several permanent collections, including the National Archives and the Smithsonian. In 2001, she spent 10 weeks working at Ground Zero in the immediate aftermath of the World Trade Center attack. She was one of two photographers working for FEMA with unlimited access. Her work from 9-11 has been published in magazines, newspapers and documentaries worldwide. She was personally profiled on A&E , The History Channel, CNN, Camera Arts, NPR and Photo District News.
Booher’s work has appeared in National Geographic, Time, Newsweek, LIFE, Traveler, GEO, Outside, Sports Illustrated for Women, Smithsonian, Stern, The Atlantic Monthly, World Press and numerous other books and periodicals worldwide. In addition to her disaster work and news photos, her travel and environmental portrait photography are represented by Getty Images.
International Photojournalist (1989-Present)
- Photographed for the UNDP and UNIFEM for UNESCO in India and Africa and Mexico. Projects included: an AIDS awareness campaign and women’s micro-financing and sericulture projects in India, women’s micro-farming in Kenya and World Heritage sites Mexico.
- Photo documented Native American cultures and heritage on six reservations in the Western United States.
- Documented relief efforts of Italian Relief Agency (CISP) during the 1993 war in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Senior Photographer for FEMA:
- Provided photography documentation to the world of over 190 disasters in the United States, U. S. Trust Territories and Sovereign Nations.They include: Super Storm Sandy, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Andrew, Typhoon Pongsona and Oklahoma City Tornados.
- Developed and implemented the original Digital Photography Library and Photography Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the FEMA.
- Mentored and trained Photography/Video Specialists cadre.
- Photographed eight Presidential and Vice Presidential visits to disaster sites and numerous Congressional and VIP visits. I am designated as an official photographer for Presidential visits.
- Worked on travel and editorial assignments in East Africa, Asia, Latin America, Micronesia and the USA.
- Photographed for the India Department of Tourism/Air India Visit India campaign for three years in all regions of India.
- Travel and Environmental Portrait photography represented by Getty Images.(hyperlink)
Independent Film Producer (2004-Present)
- Co-Produced a 2-hour documentary for A&E. Portraits from Ground Zero, a documentary about reuniting with the first responders from Ground Zero. (hyperlink )
- Produced twenty training videos for FEMA. Topics ranged from Tribal Relations and the Federal Government to Disaster Response in the Western Pacific. Additionally, produced two Spanish language videos for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, that taught children what to do in disaster situations.
- Produced documentaries and videos for Private and Non-Profit Organizations. Topics ranged from empowering at risk youth to Story Swap; documentary about a story exchange that connected post earthquake Port-au-Prince students with hurricane survivor students from New Orleans through storytelling, creative writing and the visual arts. She directed film crews in Louisiana and Haiti simultaneously.
- Produced six educational, motivational videos for the International Code Council. The videos exemplified the Code Council’s work and highlighted where building codes have protected communities and saved lives.
Photography Workshop Instructor (2005-Present)
- Photography Resource Leader and digital photography instructor for workshops for Chief Executive Organization (CEO) Colleges in Argentina, Antarctica, Myanmar , Australia and USA. The workshops were taught in remote locations and required me to be completely self contained and prepared in advance for any situation. Courses included: Basic Camera Operation, The Environmental Portrait, Fundamentals of Lighting, Field Photography, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom. Additionally, I trouble shot all equipment issues.
United Airlines Photography Editor & Contributor (1990-1992)
- Photographed travel stories for every issue of United Airlines in flight Magazine.
- Wrote approximately 30 stories for the magazine
- Promoted to United Express Photography Editor.
National Geographic Photography Assistant (1986-1989)
- Photography Assistant on National Geographic assignments.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Regis University, Denver, Colorado: B.A. Liberal Arts
University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado: International Relations, Spanish
University of Arizona, Guadalajara, Mexico: Advanced Spanish
Anderson Ranch Art Center, Snowmass, Colorado: Ernst Haas Photography Scholarship
Emergency Management Institute, Emmitsburg, Maryland: Public Information